With over 340 years of one-of-a-kind U.S. history to its status as the sixth-largest city in the nation, Philadelphia often nicknamed “Philly” and "The city of brotherly love” is a unique spot for history, culture, diversity, technology, cuisine, and entertainment.
Philadelphia was the 1st capital of the United States. It is where the Declaration of Independence was written and the Constitution was signed. Its Independence National Historical Park is one of the top most visited monuments in America and it is home of the famous Liberty Bell. Besides Independence National Historical Park, many national recognized museums are located walking distance from the Convention Center including The Franklin Institute, The Barnes Foundation, the African American Museum, and the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Philadelphia has also more public art than any other U.S. city. Nearly 4,000 massive murals grace the walls and communicate the essence of neighborhoods in Philadelphia.
Interesting and curious facts about Philadelphia
- 1st World Heritage City in the United States
- 2nd largest city on the East Coast
- 3rd most populous downtown in the country
- 4th largest media market in the nation
- 6th largest city in the country (city population: 1.6 million and regional population: 6.1 million)
- 6th largest workforce in the U.S. of just over 3 million, including highly skilled talent in key industries: life sciences, energy and manufacturing, technology, financial services, and more.
- 45 million people live within 200 miles — putting Philadelphia at the core of the country’s wealthiest and most-densely populated area.
- $432 B Gross Regional Product (MSA)
- 18 Fortune 500 companies within an hour’s drive of Philadelphia
- 2nd largest Chinatown on the East Coast.
- The Italian Market is the nation’s oldest outdoor market.
- Over 12,000 hotel rooms in Center City
- 1,049 retailers in Center City
- Over 1,000 food establishments with 428 outdoor seating locations in Center City
- 29 airlines offering 500 departures to 130 non-stop destinations in the U.S. and around the world (36 international destinations)
- 16th largest city in the nation for international visitors from overseas
- 60% of the U.S. population lives within a two-hour flight of Philadelphia
- 85+ movies have been filmed in Philadelphia and more are in-production every day.
For more facts please visit: